Chicago, IL

revived rabies immune globulin one week ago. did first 3 shots of vaccine. am i protected or do i need another immune globulin for new exposure?

Confused: The primary series varies with need. If done before exposure, 3 shots of the vaccine is routine. After exposure, globulin and 4 doses of the vaccine, on days 0, 3,7 & 14 are the usual protocol. After completion of the series patients can be tested for antibody conversion. The primary series is expected to give 2 years worth of protection from point of completion.