U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Loma Linda, CA
A 45-year-old female asked:

i know i have a breast abcess. it burst tonight. can i treat this at home? i currently have no money to go to doctor, and i'm scared.

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Breast abscess: I am sorry about your financial situation. However, I do think that medical assessment is important in your case. An abcess can be loculated - so the fact that your's burst is not a guarantee that it will drain properly. The fact that you have a fever & chills means that the infection is not just impacting your breast. Antibiotics are likely indicated. I would seek emergency medical care.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Provided original answer
I am concerned that you don't have a week to wait until you get your paycheck.
Oct 15, 2017
Dr. Harold Fields
Family Medicine 61 years experience
Abcess : Try applying hot moist towels to the open abscess to draw out the puss. If that doesn't help to clear it up you will have to see a physician
Dr. Yash Khanna
Family Medicine 57 years experience
Need to be treated: you need to consult a doctor.You may need Antibiotics&may need to help drainage.Most Breast Absesses even if burst& draining will need help with the drainage.Meanwhile you can put warm soaks to help with the drainage.You can go to the ER &get it treated there.You may still have to buy the prescription given for Antibiotics.Rarely it can resolve spontaneously but taking a chance,I advise against It

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 38-year-old member asked:

What are longterm complications and side effects of a breast augmentation?

9 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Tholen
Plastic Surgery 41 years experience
Short answer is poor: There are many things you need to be aware of, and much of the literature or media-fueled "information" is based on a broad cross-section of surgeons (not all abps-certified plastic surgeons experienced in breast augmentation surgery). For more information you can go to http://www.Realself.Com/article/dr-tholens-comprehensive-guide-breast-augmentation.
Dr. Greg Sexton
Dr. Greg Sexton commented
Plastic Surgery 39 years experience
WWW.plasticsurgery.org is an excellent resource site for all types of cosmetic surgery
Aug 17, 2012
A male asked:

I keep on getting sist tipe absesses in my groins.Its been cut out several times but keep on comming back at a different spot.?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice 31 years experience
Hidradenitis supp.: You may have a 'cystic skin disease' called hidradenitis suppurativa. It mainly attacks the groin and armpits. Recurrent cysts are the general rule. You should get seen by a dermatologist to get a diagnosis and get the proper treatment (e.g. Oral antibiotics, injections, excisions...) hope you are better soon!
A 37-year-old member asked:

Should I be concerned about a hard pea-sized lump in my nipple off to the side?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jagdish Mishra
Cardiology 38 years experience
Mammogram please: Needs further evaluation. See your family doc and have a mammogram 1st.
A 44-year-old member asked:

What's the correct projection and position for a posteroanterior erect chest radiograph?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Christiaan Maurer
Dr. Christiaan Maureranswered
Internal Medicine 23 years experience
90: Sitting upright at 90 degrees. Machine parallel or slightly upward to the plain of the floor.
A 32-year-old member asked:

Any experience with a peri-rectal abscess recovery?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 42 years experience
Varies: With the size and location of the abscess from a few days to 14 days and whether it was adequately drianed and whether there is an associated fistula. It definitely needs follow up if not resolved in a reasonable time.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Oct 19, 2017

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.