Tucson, AZ

After a myriad of gradually onset problems (double vision in left eye, memory problems, dizziness, headaches etc) my doctor said my mri showed a brain lesion. i have an appt with a neurologist but not for a while. what could this mean??

Dr. Paul Garrett
Radiology 40 years experience
Could be anything: When I write my radiology reports, I don't expect the ordering doctor to ONLY say, "You have a brain lesion, see this guy/gal." The MRI report should have been discussed with you in more detail. If the ordering doc had no idea what the radiologist was describing, he/she should have called the radiologist directly before your office visit. See the neurologist soon and get this cleared up.
Neurology 52 years experience
Your doctor has an ethical obligation to be transparent regarding abnormal studies, as you need to know why the referral was made. Have a thorough conference with your doctor and discuss the "lesion". You may want the opinion of the radiologist. Best to have a family member or friend accompany you for these meetings, to objectify the information better.

Last updated May 23, 2021