Lake Oswego, OR

I am trying to lose weight and get more healthy. i was successful before on a low carb high fat diet and wanted to know if that is still recommended. starting fitness ?

Pathology 49 years experience
See below: It is important to reduce your total caloric intake and exercise. High fat diet is not a good diet. If you must, you may try a low carbohydrate, high protein diet. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex, if you have sex.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Controversial: Well, it is controversial for sure. I think most dietitians would recommend more of a balanced diet. The idea with a low carb diet is that carbohydrates stimulate insulin which some think leads to weight gain. The main proponent of the diet, Dr. Robert Atkins died weighing nearly 260 pounds and had a history of cardiac disease. I personally believe that low fat is better and am mostly vegan.

Last updated Sep 26, 2017