San Jose, CA

if it is ok outside after hurricane harvey blows thru but the street's flooded, but you have running water inside the house, is your tap water safe?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Local public health: It's not possible for a distant forum doctor to know the answer. I'm sure information is availalbe from local health department or other city, county, or state offices. If in doubt, boil water for drinking. Good luck!
Dr. Richard Zimon
Generally: UNLESS your local health officials say otherwise , tap water is OK. (If you are really worried BOIL IT first!) Good Luck Stay Safe Dr Z
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 28 years experience
Cannot be sure,,,: This may be like when a water main has broken. Brown water may come out, even after the problem has been fixed. In this case, the water system may be overwhelmed, so it would be wise to drink bottled water or other drinks, and just use the tap water for washing as long as it appears clean and use plenty od soap while washing. Best of luck.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Tap water safety/Hur: Your Health is Precious! Hurricanes, especially if accompanied by a tidal surge or flooding, can contaminate the public water supply. Water in the hurricane-affected area may not be safe to drink Please contact Local Health Departments whether the tap water is safe for drinking.
Dr. Ralph Boling
boil if not sure, much of the water system was contaminated
Sep 21, 2017