i am 20 y/o, weigh 129 kg & have pcos, is it possible to surgically remove the cyst at my age or is my doctor saving my life by not allowing me to do so & making me lose weight & get rid of the cyst the natural way, even though its hard as it is?

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Weight reduction: Weight reduction if possible will help to abate the ovarian cyst formation of PCOS as well a Metformin Rx. to minimize the risk of Diabetes. If the cyst is larger than a golf ball and solitary, then it can be removed surgically. Talk to your MD.
Dr.
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Lose weight: Hi there! PCOS is essentially a metabolic syndrome. The underlying problem is insulin resistance which in turn causes high insulin level circulating in the body. High insulin level causes all sorts of symptoms including the cysts on your ovaries. PCOS cannot be cured but can be controlled. Losing weight is your best option as it treats the ROOT of the problem which is insulin resistance.
Pathology 44 years experience
Exactly. The "cysts" aren't the problem. Do yourself a HUGE favor and lose the weight. You've got your whole life ahead of you.
Aug 1, 2017
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegab answered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
Follow: your doctor's advice, he/she knows you and your condition better, unnecessary surgery in overweight/obese persons has its own risks apart from the original disease, and surgery isn't the only treatment for pcos. Best wishes

Last updated Feb 23, 2018