CO

I am experiencing swollen tonsils. the following also describe me: sore throat, spots on throat, and fatigue. is prednisone necessary to take, or will clindamycin be sufficient to help get rid of the bacteria?

Dr. Christopher Cirino
Infectious Disease 23 years experience
Viral? rapid strep: If there are "spots' on the throat, it would depend if these were exudates, or white patches, or red spots in the back. Not all pharyngitis is streptococcal; in fact, most of it is viral. Strep throat is characterized by fever, exudative tonsillitis and neck lymphadenopathy in most of the cases. If you are not having these findings, it is likely viral and you can spare the antibiotics. Check.

Last updated Jul 8, 2017