Indianapolis, IN

if allergic to penicillan can i take keflex for a tooth abscess?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Keflex: Keflex is a cephalosporin antibiotic and is not normally prescribed for dental infections. Since an antibiotic will not resolve your dental issues, your best bet is to see a local dentist and have the tooth evaluated.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Penicillin Allergy: If you are allergic to Penicillin there is a 10% chance you will be allergic to Keflex. I often use this antibiotic as an alternative to Penicillin. However this needs to be discussed with the doctor who knows your complete medical history and is personally treating you as there are other alternatives also available!
Dr. Robert Douglas
Orthodontics 51 years experience
Keflex : is an excellent antibiotic but there's a one in ten chance that you are also allergic to it. Your dentist will decide the appropriate medication. In the meanwhile you should have the tooth treated to eliminate the source of infection as no antibiotic will cure it.
Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 10 years experience
Alternative?: Depends on the type of allergy. If the history is consistent with an immune mechanism, then an alternative should be used if available. Then, once improved, an Allergist can perform penicillin skin testing to see if the allergy is still present so that in the future, if it is not, options will not be limited. The test takes 40 minutes and most patients are found to no longer have allergy.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Don't self medicate: Antibiotics do not cure Dentel abscesses. Meds reduce severity and spread of infection, but specific Dental Treatment (root canal/crown or extraction/implant/crown) required for "cure." If tooth not properly treated infection will come roaring back when meds discontinued. Inform Dentist of your Penicillin allergy. Numerous appropriate alternatives are available.