why do i keep getting cold sores? should i not use the same towel?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Get educated: If you have recurring herpes, it is the same thing in the same place, not new infections. The virus is dormant with no symptoms until something triggers it to travel down its nerve to the surface of the skin. The trigger can be sun or any injury or irritation, or fever. Taking a pill daily will reduce or stop the attacks. Taking a pill at the first tingling [prodrome] may abort an attack. Valicycl
Dr. Cornelius Oleary
Cold sores : Sorry you are experiencing painful outbreaks. You should avoid eating high protein meals, alcohol, spicy foods. You can take a medication called Valacyclovir 500 mg once a day for suppressive therapy if you have several outbreaks. You should also get tested if you are sexually active to make sure you don't have other STDs or HIV. Stay calm and see your MD please don't get bothered by mean doctors
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Not due to anything you ate. "Cold sores" are usually hsv1 virus acquired when you were a child from a parent. This is not an STD.
Mar 22, 2017