Quincy, IL

is aspartame bad for you? the sparkling water i like contains it, but i heard it causes cancer. any truth??

Pathology 44 years experience
Nothing after 20 yrs: Since the 1990's, there has been a scare campaign against aspartame as causing everything -- familiar cancers, multiple sclerosis, lupus, brain tumors, chronic fatigue. A few people are clearly allergic. But the science is fabricated, the real authors have eluded identification and the scientific attributions have been fake. My doctor friends are mostly still drinking it.
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
Even the American Cancer Society, not known for ignoring risks, has dismissed these claims. For me, there's nothing like fresh fruit for sweets, and water for thirst, but it's wrong to deprive people of simple pleasures using disinformation. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
Jan 15, 2017