Milwaukee, WI

can you get gestational diabetes after pregnancy (like 3 months later) or is it only during pregnancy?

Dr. Timothy Brown
A qualified yes: By definition, gestational diabetes is diabetes that appears during and is confined to a pregnancy. Since it indicates a predisposition to full-blown diabetes, your chances of developing diabetes in 3 months or even later is definitely increased and is not unusual.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 57 years experience
Gestation diabetes: 25 F asks: Can you get Gestational Diabetes after pregnancy (like 3 months later) or is it only during pregnancy? ANS: No GD goes away after pregnancy by definition. So if you still has diabetes during pregnancy you still have it now and need to manage it with your team.
Dr.
Gestational diabetes: Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is high sugar levels with its onset (or first diagnosis) during pregnancy and usually resolving shortly after delivery .Most women will apparently recover after the pregnancy but with about a 1 in 2 chance of recurrence in a future pregnancy . A woman who has had gestational diabetes has an increased risk (50-60%) of developing type 2 diabetes in the future.