if my partner has oral herpes, and he passed it to my genitals, why haven't i contracted it on my mouth as well?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
53 years experience Infectious Disease
HSV transmission: 1) Maybe the diagnosis isn't right. Are you sure your genital herpes is due to HSV1, the type that causes most oral herpes, not HSV2? 2) Perhaps there was no kissing at the time transmission occurred. 3) You caught it orallly but without symptoms. 4) You were just lucky in not getting it at both places. Herpes and other STDs are inefficiently transmitted: most exposures don't transmit.
Answered on Dec 27, 2016
1