is a bone graft always a necessary result to advanced periodontitis? is it always a necessary solution to advanced tooth decay?

Dr. Russell Chin
Dentistry 45 years experience
Yes and no: Bone grafting can be when the defect in your disease is conducive to repair. When it's not the disease requires more bone loss from the surgery to make the area easier to keep clean and prevent more bone loss when you practice meticulous oral hygiene Advanced tooth decay has nothing to do with bone graft but after surgery removal of decay and filling would make it easier to ensure good seal
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Two issues: Advanced periodontitis often requires extraction of teeth. Bone grafting along with periodontal surgery aims to preserve teeth when appropriate. Good oral hygiene is necessary after procedures in order to maintain long term success of periodontal therapy! Advanced tooth decay is a totally separate issue. Can loose teeth from decay even with no gums problems.(see below):
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Provided original answer
Can loose teeth from gum disease even if no cavities or tooth decay.
May 24, 2017