my 6yo was checked for anemia. cbc with diff, retic, iron, tibc, all wnl. ferritin was 27 with the normal range 10-140. is she considered anemic with the ferritin on the lower end of normal?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Edward Kuhnley
44 years experience Child Psychiatry
Anemia is a: condition in which the body does not have sufficient number of healthy red blood cells. The lab results you cite do not indicate current anemia. Low iron can lead to iron- deficiency anemia but lab report indicates iron is in normal range. Work with pediatrician to monitor over time. Best regards for good health.
Answered on Nov 30, 2016
1
Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
No, not anemic!: Anemia is a measure of the percent of red blood cells in her blood which you state is within normal limits. We believe that ferritin is the best single measure of body iron in her body, not just in her blood cells, but also her marrow and her liver, etc. Whenever you make a make a measurement you have to know what you are measuring.
Answered on Nov 30, 2016
1