South Africa

Can staring at the sun as a kid (around 8 years ago, i'm 18 now), cause blindness/loss of vision later in life? (i've recently had a digital retinal scan done around 6 months ago and my optometrist said my eyes were perfectly healthy)

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Effect is immediate: Your focusing eye elements will concentrate the sunlight and cause a burn if you hold steadily staring at the sun. This is difficult and painful to do and your reflexes will mostly prevent this. If you did not become aware of immediate damage, you will not get damage at a later date.
Dr. Steven Siepser
LASIK Surgery 47 years experience
Actually there are many reports of macular damage of Sun Gazers, often they start by looking at the Sun at the horizon and increase their tolerance as time goes on. They do damage to the retina and this is best tested with OCT, Fluorescein Injection and photos, with a Macular Visual Field. These changes are very subtle and difficult to evaluate and are not always immediately visible to the subje
Oct 22, 2016
Dr. Ivy Fisher
Eyes ok: It is highly unlikely that continued staring in sunlight will damage your vision, as your checks have been normal. Hereon, I would wear a hat, sunblock and polaroid sunglasses to protect from UV light exposure over time.

Last updated Oct 24, 2016