my doctor just prescribed me 2x 5mg valium and 2x 5/325mg percocet to take together half an hour before a cystoscopy. is it safe?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
35 years experience Clinical Psychology
Yes, but talk: It's safe - but you might still want to talk about your concern and ask about what to expect, avoid, do. You might feel sleepy and groggy so plan not to drive - be w/ someone if possible. They are experienced w/ this and can reassure you.
Answered on Oct 1, 2016
1
1
Dr. Kevin Passer
34 years experience Child Psychiatry
It depends on your age and other medications you may be already taking. While not a particularly high dose, 10 mgs of oxycodone can be enhanced by the Valium, so the combination can create some problems, potentially. In fact, the DEA just placed some thing known as a Black Box Warning, which means to take extraordinary precautions when mixing opiates, like oxycodone with benzodiazepines, like Valium. The danger is a person could stop breathing or have reduced breathing. That could pose a risk for some people. I would make sure someone is with you to make sure you're ok. I am sorry to sound alarming, but this is an extremely important issue. There are physicians who prescribe opiates in some hazardous ways. A young, healthy person should be ok with those two medications and at those doses. An elderly, more frail person with some pre-existing respiratory problems should be very cautious. Bottom line, not the safest 100% of the time. Also, Valium is very long lasting in one's system. I prefer to use shorter acting benzodiazepines like lorazepam. One dose of Valium can be detected in a person's urine three weeks later.
Oct 1, 2016