Houston, TX

what does this mean 2 cm lesion within the proximal humeral metaphysis. differential diagnosed include a chondroid lesion additionally given its rel?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
See below: So the proximal humerus refers to the shoulder area; 2cm is just under one inch; and chondroid refers to the lesion possibly having an origin from cartilage like tissue. If you have not had them, a ct scan and an mri may give a lot more information. If there is any question a biopsy might be indicated although there are times the additional studies can determine the likely diagnosis without it
Dr. Cornelius Oleary
Bone lesion: This means you have a two centimeter lesion in the neck or funnelization region called the metaphysis under the head of your arm bone. We study what the lesion is doing to the bone and what the bone is doing to the lesion. Need MRI-DDx Trauma, bone infarct to infections to benign or dangerous tumors. Need expert orthopaedic oncology consultation. Stay calm and make ortho oncology appointment plz
Dr. Cornelius Oleary
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
To completely understand the complete list of causes of a bone lesion the pneumonic "I VINDICATE" is offen used. It stands for Vascular causes, Infection, Neoplasia, Drugs, Infections, Congenital, Traumatic, and Endocrine/Metabolic factors. This is why a physician needs to know your complete medical history, drugs, family and social history, surgical history, and other factors that help pinpoint
Aug 10, 2016
Dr. Cornelius Oleary
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
Sorry one of my I's should stand for inflammatory or idiopathic :)
Aug 10, 2016
Dr. Cornelius Oleary
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
Here are two websites to help you educate yourself. Keep in mind your diagnosis is not confirmed this is background information. Diagnoses range from benign disorders to dangerous ones. Feel free to consult me if needed http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/p4bc9a97980036/sclerotic-bone-tumors-and-tumor-like-lesions.html http://www.ucsfcme.com/2007/MAP07002/Finished_Anatomic_Path/Horvai220pmSat.pdf
Aug 10, 2016