San Luis Obispo, California

I just took nyquil for my cough and sore throat now it's been half hour and i've been coughing crazy is it safe to take promethazine codeine in liquid?

Dr. Dominic Mazzocchi
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Cough: Yes you would probably ok to take but the real question is why are you coughing maybe get check out at a walking to see if this viral or bacterial. Just be careful the combination of both these meds may cause drowsiness so if you don't drive have someone take you to be checked out
Dr. Christine Hom
Cough syrup: I don't prescribe promethazine for cough and do not consider it safe. The recommendation is a teaspoon of honey, which has proven benefits in the pediatric literature. Try a mug of hot tea and then the honey to coat the throat for its demulcent properties. If coughing for several days and worse, a proper history and physical is in order to seek the cause of your cough.

Last updated Dec 13, 2017