why my left jaw hurts when i am opening wide to eat?

Dr. Travis Titlow
Dentistry 40 years experience
Muscle strain, traum: Most likely you have injured or inflamed the muscles for chewing. Apply moist heat with a wash cloth, take ibuprofen, and avoid opening wide for a few days. If it doesn't improve see your doctor or dentist.
Dr. Peter Dantini
Dentistry 33 years experience
TMJ pain: When you open wide the lateral pterygoid muscle and the retrodiscal tissue help keep the tm disk centered over the mandibular condyle. If the balance between the disk and ligament (tissue behind the disk) are out of sync then your condyle is pressing on muscle or ligament--causing pain. You need to see a dentist to determine exactly what is happening.