Australia

crps- developed bunionette affected foot. very sore, can't walk. surgery suggested. what precautions with crps? will surgery make crps worse?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
It can make : It worse, but.....it might be worth the risk. Is there any hardware in your foot? I had a patient who fell after surgery which loosened her screw, she was diagnosed with crps. Nothing helped her. I took out the screw and refixated her. Her crps went away immediately. So there is hope.....
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Not easy......: I would want to be sure that the soreness and inability to walk is, in fact, due to the bunionette and not part of the ongoing CRPS and a subsequent problem associated with CRPS. There is no way of predicting if a foot surgery now, will escalate or relieve the any pain associated with your foot. Especially, since the bunionette appears to be a consequence of the CRPS and not the proximal cause.
Neurology 52 years experience
Comments: Most people with CRPS do poorly with surgery, as the CRPS may get worse, but if your foot needs surgery, you need to take the chance to help you regain walking function. One approach that may make sense is to take pre-operative medication to treat the autonomic issues, and even do a pre-op lumbar sympathetic block. Get an anesthesiologist who does pain management involved.

Last updated May 29, 2016