A 1-year-old female asked:
Disclaimer

my 16m old ate a pile of finger nail clippings. i got as many as i could out of her mouth, but i think she may have swallowed some. can this hurt her?

1 doctor answer
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Not really: Other than the obvious germ laden nature of the material it is not toxic. I consider it foreign protein. It wont hurt her like a button battery or medicines might. Whatever you didn't retrieve will be sterilized by stomach acid and digested.
Answered on Nov 10, 2020
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Related questions:

A male asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Simple solution: I NEVER cut a babies nails, ever. What you have now happens often. I cut a 2X5 cm piece of fine wet/dry sandpaper and use it to file down their nails. ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 21-year-old female asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Usually bacteria: In decades as a pediatrician I never had one of these turn out to be a fungus.They are usually simple skin or mouth germs. Treating them repeatedly wi ... Read More
1
1 thank
A member asked:
Dr. Michael Wollock
29 years experience Dentistry
New : New orleans, as long as there is no Fluoride in the toothpaste, i'm not sure why you need to force the issue. I'm sure he will learn to spit out too ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 31-year-old female asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
46 years experience Pediatrics
Please clarify: Why would she be sleeping in a location where she could put her hands over YOUR MOUTHS. A 6yo should be sleeping in their own bed.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month