Redding, CT

i have a hard bump slightly off center on my hard upper palate in my mouth, it showed up two days ago and i'm scared of what it could be. i'm 18 ?

Dr. Justin Nelson
Pediatric Dentistry 16 years experience
Trauma?: This could be many things but most common is trauma, burns or just plain things that you don't remember. Granted that there could possible be some pathology with the upper palate it is very rare. If it gets larger (which it might cuz you still have to eat and I know your tongue will play w/it) after a week or if you just want more clarification I would see your local dentist. No worries. Connect with my Virtual Practice on Healthtap for any dental questions with my special keycode: DFWMCQ! Securely video or text chat by virtual appointment. http://htap.us/28qexs
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Torus?: I would be surprised if it's anything more than a normal bony protrusion of your palate known as a torus palatinus. Google it for more information and some photos for comparison. Many patients have this and are never aware of it until they get a sore there or start exploring their mouth with their tongues. No reason to be scared but you can and should confirm this with your own dentist.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Don't be scared: But do have it evaluated. Ask your Dentist for the name of a good Oral Surgeon. Chances are high that this is innocuous, but it should be visualized, palpated, and possibly x-rayed to determine the appropriate path of action.

Last updated Apr 8, 2016