Pine Bluff, AR

I been working out to get healthy and to get fit for the summer. my abs are so sore from sit-up, it's a hassle to sit up now. would it be a beneficial to take a break in between my workout days?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Yes: It is recommended that you take that break if strenuous exercises of a muscle group are causing muscle fiber strain or injury including possible microtears. Perhaps one visit with a physical trainer would be worthwhile as you would be given personal instructions in proper exercise techniques and schedules for what you want to accomplish and goals you wish to attain.
Dr. Leah Alexander
Take a break: It sounds like you've really been working out a lot. It can be helpful to give your abdominal muscles a break by working other muscle groups in between the days you do more abdominal exercises. Your muscles need time to "recover" which also helps strengthen them. Listen to your body. If you have pain, resting that area is warranted.
Dr. David Krulak
Variety: In life, and working out, variety is important. Giving muscles a chance to rest and repair is critical to improving strength and conditioning. Either choose exercises that target other muscle groups, or take a day or so for active recovery. Either way, the break will do your body good.

Last updated Apr 17, 2016