Singapore

For 5th metatarsal fracture(midshaft fract, slight displaced), is it too early to stand/walk with weight on heel in aircast boot (aft. 8 days in cast)?

Dr. Donald Pelto
Podiatry 15 years experience
5th met fracture: Good question kind of hard to say if it is unstable or stable based on your response. Many people I do walk them in a CAM boot and it will heal in 6-8 weeks but if there is displacement and it is unstable you should be strictly off it. I hope that helps. Maybe this will help. http://www.podiatryinstitute.com/pdfs/Update_2006/2006_28.pdf
Dr. Myron Bodman
Podiatry 45 years experience
Yes: It typically take 6-8 weeks to heal fractures in healthy people. 5th metatarsal fractures are often unstable so too soon for weightbearing
Dr. Darrell Latva
Podiatry 42 years experience
YES!: Absolutely too early. Follow your doctor's advice. Dr. Latva

Last updated Oct 19, 2019