Doxycline has helped my prostatitus but not irradiated it I can't take ciprofloxacin is bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) a good choice it's been ongoing for over a year now ?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience in Infectious Disease
No easy answer: Prostatitis is complex -- difficult to diagnose accurately, hard to know the exact cause, and different treatments are needed for various kinds. Symptoms alone don't always mean prostatitis is still present. Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) might work, but only if prostatitis is definitely due to continued bacterial infection. You need to discuss w/ your doctor, preferably a urologist or infectious diseases specialist.
Answered on Mar 22, 2016