MA

I cut my lip tonight and need to know if i should go to the er or not. it is still slightly bleeding, but do you think i could wait to see the doctor?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 31 years experience
Cut lip: Unfortunately, I can't determine how deeply or badly you're cut, aside from fact that you're still bleeding. However, that fact alone makes me suggest that you get seen sooner than later as you may need stitches to close up cut that's still bleeding. You can try mouthing/gumming an ice cube to see if that's enough to stop bleeding but there's not much more aside from Virtual Consult to visualize
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
Depends on degree: If the lip is cut across the entire layer, going to the ER to get stitched up immediately would be my advice. If it is only cut in the inner lining , it will likely heal in a week or two. But if it doesn't , then you will need to see a doctor.

Last updated Mar 22, 2016