Australia

Can hypothermia in an elderly pt be a symptom of an acute transformation of overlap myeloproliferative/myelodysplacticty disorder? pt has hi wbc & crp

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Hypothermia/mds: Elderly often feel cooler than younger individuals. Hypothermia ( how low?) may be a sign of infection /sepsis just like high fever. If one has myelodysplastic syndrome , would check for UTI, a common cause of infection,subtle pneumonia.Also check thyroid, adrenal function. Elevated WBC is a concern for sepsis and transformation. Go to the ER for blood cultures and evaluation.
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Hypothermia: You have an exceptionally large number of medical concerns.I strongly recommend that you present yourself (have someone drive you) to the nearest Emergency facility. They will either be able to help you in the ER or move you on to the hospital. Hope all goes well - please keep me informed.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017