NJ

my father in law is refusing any kind of treatment for his stage 3a adenocarcinoma . he continues to smoke. what is his life expectancy if he continue?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Much shorter: but his chances for survival with this cancer, particularly with refusing any treatment, is already low. Hard to say that it will be much lower with continued smoking. While I would not stop efforts to convince him that he is better off without it, he may feel that there is little chance of survival anyway, and that he may as well smoke. However, new therapies CAN prolong life significantly.