Santa Monica, CA

I'm not addicted but i think i need some help getting off of percocet and oxycontin after knee surg. what can a md prescribe to help?

Dr. Stephen Watson
Pain Management 38 years experience
Alternate medication: I would ask your doctor to prescribe a very safe medication like gabapentin that would help diminish the difficulty weaning off of the narcotics. You could add Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at night to sleep. If no stomach issues, you could take ibuprofen or naproxen for pain. Keep Percocet same dose while stopping 1 Oxycontin daily for two weeks then further weaning Oxycontin. DO NOT CUT OXYCONTIN INTO PIECES.
Dr. Stephen Watson
Pain Management 38 years experience
Provided original answer
The point is to gradually wean yourself off all narcotics. Get rid of long-acting (Oxycontin) first by decreasing 1 tablet/day every 7-14 days until finished. Then start decreasing the short-acting, Percocet tablets. AFTER you are off of the Oxycontin, then start cutting back 1 Percocet every 5-7 days--shorter interval the better but whatever you are able to be successful until all stopped.
Mar 13, 2016
Dr. Ron Jones
Depends: It really depends on how long you have been taking the medication on a daily basis and how much you have been taking. Not everyone who takes opioids becomes physiologically dependent and has withdrawal upon discontinuation of the medication. The best thing to try is gradually decreasing the daily dosage until you can stop altogether. Start breaking in 1/2 for a week or so, then 1/4 and so on.
Dr. Stephen Watson
Pain Management 38 years experience
With just 400 spaces to answer, I gave a short answer. If the patient is concerned about getting off of the Rx's then I consider that he maybe having a problem or just needs a little extra reassurance. First you do not break or cut the Oxycontin--excessive drug release. Secondly, weaning over several weeks will certainly adequately address any true dependence issue and reassure the patient.
Mar 17, 2016

Last updated Mar 17, 2016