San Diego, CA

My mom, my grandma and my mom's sister all had breast cancer (and died). i was told that mastectomy reduce the risks for me. is that true?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
Yes, very likely: Breast Cancer is a genetic disease. In 5-10% of cases, it runs in the family. That seems to be the case here. This is what Angelina Jolie had(it is called BR-CA positive Breast Cancer). Removal of both breasts before Cancer develops is one good solution for this type of breast Cancer. Your doctor can easily run the BRACA test for you and a genetic counselor can further guide you in this regard.

Last updated Mar 7, 2016