Is it bad to be on propranolol if I have food allergies? I've read that I can't have epinephrine or epipen if I have anaphylactic reaction??

Dr. Andrew Hirsch
32 years experience in Pediatric Allergy and Asthma
Can use but risks: Non-Selective B Blockers such as propanolol can blunt the good effects of epinephrine so that more epinephrine may be needed to achieve a good response. The propanolol can make use of EpiPen more prone to increase your blood pressure. . If you take propanolol for migraine or thyroid, you will likely be ok with EpiPen, but may need more. If it is for cardiac issues, you should be more careful.
Answered on Feb 21, 2016