NJ

anytime i fall asleep laying on my back, i wake up with fluid/congestion in my lungs. what could be the cause? i'm 29, non-smoker, & normal weight.

Dr. Donald Colantino
Lying supine: This syndrome may actually be due to postnasal dripping of mucus or actual gastroesophageal reflux as you lie in a supine position during sleep. If you have normal breathing during exertion or exercise, it is quite unlikely that you have any disorder of the heart or lungs. Try sleeping with your head and chest in more of an upright position-that is, above your abdomen which helps reflux.