I have been taking spironolactone for acne for over 4 years. i am almost 26 and my skin was great! i decided to wean myself off of it (doctors orders as well) about 5 months ago. i took my usual 100mg every other day, and then every couple days, and then

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Why?: If the acne resumes you can use spironolactone again. It is reasonable to stop after a long period without acne so you can determine if you still need it. No need to taper. You can just stop, hold it, resume if acne. You can take it forever. You do not need blood tests. Stop if pregnant or about to be. Stop if in kidney failure.

Last updated Aug 5, 2016