my son jolted his neck back to break a fall. i have been using heat last 3 days applied ice tonight. help...which is better for whiplash/wry neck?

Dr. Edward Hellman
29 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Be seen: I would recommend that he be seen just to make sure he did not seriously injure his neck. That being said, moist heat is usually good for relieving the spasm and muscular pain that can be associated with a cervical strain. Ice can be helpful if the area is superficial and tender to numb it and reduce superficial swelling. So...either is ok to try, in my experience, heat is more effective.
Answered on Mar 21, 2018
1