whenever i try to vent to my parents they get mad and invalidate my depressed feelings. is this a defense mechanism so they don't have to deal w/ it?

Dr. Steven Hanley
16 years experience Clinical Psychology
It could be ...: Whatever it is though, I know it can be frustrating. I would try to focus less on what it means to them and more on how you can deal with it. You might try telling them about how you feel when you share things with them. It has probably been this way a long time and I wouldn't expect things to change overnight. Things might not change at all, despite your best efforts.
Answered on Jan 12, 2016