Canada

my 2 year old son has hemoglobin rainier. what treatment options should i investigate?

Dr. Mitzi Scotten
Watchful waiting: I had to look this one up- it is rare! But I did find a paper that said that there once was a concern there would be too much iron in the blood so people with this had blood taken out regularly- BUT- that seemed to cause more problems so this paper seemed to recommend not doing anything specific http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC322364/pdf/jcinvest00214-0040.pdf
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Need more informatio: Hgb Ranier causes an increase in rbc count due to decreased release of O2, so need to know symptoms, Hct and O2 saturation. At the very least, avoid smoke exposure, high altitudes, and dehydration. Consider aspirin to decrease clotting and phlebotomy to remove rbc's. If O2 sat is consistently low, may need to consider O2. University Hematology specialist would have best info about possible med
Dr. Edward Seegers
Hb Ranier: Hello ~ see attached article. I would think this is quite rare and a/c to article has no clinical consequence and requires no treatment.If you are concerned schedule an appointment with a pediatric Heme-Onc specialist thanks http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC322364/