should i brush the top of my mouth to clean? my dentist told me it causes gum recession and it is not necessary. what about skin next to the teeth?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Be gentle: Brushing roof of mouth unnecessary. Gums next to teeth need to be cleaned, especially the sulcus between the gum and the tooth. Important: 1-use SOFT t-brush, 2- brush gently but thoroughly 2 full minutes by the clock 2x/day, 3-don't scrub hard, 4-floss DAILY, 5-ask your Dentist/Hygienist to personalize your Oral Hygiene regimen, 6-have regular professional care.
Answered on Nov 22, 2015
1
Dr. Thomas Yash
45 years experience Dentistry
Yes: I would recommend that you brush the gums next to your teeth top and bottom, cheek and tongue or palate. Leaving plaque and debris can lead to cavities and gum disease. I would recommend a Sonicare electric toothbrush which is effective and will not cause your gums to recede.
Answered on Nov 22, 2015
1
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
37 years experience Dentistry
See below: Using a soft bristled brush, brush gently at a 45 degree angle between the interface of the tooth and the gums, using an electric toothbrush may be more effective. In addition, a tongue scraper and dental floss, such as Glide, should be part of your regimen.
Answered on Nov 25, 2016
1