UT

So, i'm abused by my dad, and my mom wants to do family therapy but i want my own. i don't feel ready for family therapy, what should i tell her?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
As private citizens: in Utah, you & mom are mandated to report any abuse that started before you turned 18, Call 1-855-323-3237 to report anonymously. It is vital that you get proper counseling, especially since you will soon be a parent yourself. Not only are you at risk for becoming an abusive parent, if you live with your Dad, he may abuse your child as well as you. A family therapist has to report abuse, also.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Depression: I feel your painful hurt. Thank you for informing about Pregnancy, Tylonol pm, Methylphenidate and insomnia. Methylphenidate can cause insomnia and emotional lability. You have right to have Individual Therapy. See Psychiatrist soon. Inform your mother that it is urgent that she and your father have Individual, Marital Therapy; and you will decide Family Therapy when you are emotionally ready.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
And report the abuse, per http://www.capsa.org/en/resources/mandatory-child-abuse-reporting-laws. Methylphenidate is a Class C drug used during pregnancy & lactation only when the benefits outweigh the risks. Further studies are needed to confirm if it ^'s risk of premature delivery & low birth weight, found in 2 studies in humans. It does not ^ risk of congenital anomalies.
Nov 16, 2015

Last updated Apr 1, 2018