TN

in reference to a laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometriosis issues, would it be better to keep one ovary, if possible?

Dr. Douglas Lawson
Depends on age: Leaving one ovary means you will likely still have pain in 6-12 months post op, though you won't have periods and doing the hyst and one side debulks the endometriosis. Over age 40 I suggest both sides come out. Over 35 I tend to make all of mine aware of the recurrence of pain. Under 35 there is some benefit to keeping an ovary for prevention though 50% fail in 2 years and you get menopause.