can a doctor on healthtap prescribe a blood pressure monitor for my hypertension and cardiac disease the monitor i have is old from at least five to six years. it is giving me inaccurate numbers.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
Don't need rx: You can get an accurate BP measuring device at a number of pharmacies or Big Box stores such as Costco for approximately $40 without prescription. The better ones have a micro USB port so that you can store and then download a months worth of data which you can print out and bring with you to your doc to discuss the findings with him.
Answered on Aug 13, 2015
1
Dr. Clarence Grim
56 years experience Endocrinology
BP monitor: I specialize in HBP for over 50 years. I still recommend the one you pump up and listen to with an attached stethoscope. Costs only $20 and much more accurate, if you are instructed how to do it properly and I can do that by video consult. Most important driver of high blood pressure is how much salt you eat. This can be tested with a dipstick we can discuss during a 2nd opinion.
Answered on Apr 20, 2017
1