Allergy shots or antihistamine pills which works better?

Dr. Tipu Sultan
Specializes in Allergy
Allergy shots: antihistamines only cover up symptoms and don't cure anything. Allergy shots treat the cause and that is why with successful immunotherapy you can get rid of antihistames. One complication of nasal allergy treated symptomatically is development of asthma. On the other hand if you treat the cause you prevent complications
Answered on Aug 5, 2015
1
1
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegab commented
39 years experience in Allergy and Immunology
If I may add: Not necessarily, that allergic rhinitis sufferers would develop asthma if untreated or treated symptomatically, true that specific immunotherapy (allergy shots) would prevent progression of rhinitis to asthma especially if treated early, and success rate is higher in the younger age group
Aug 5, 2015