Cincinnati, OH

no fetal heartbeat found on the first intravaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks and 1day. should i be concerned? i have another appt scheduled in 10 days.

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Clarification: I would clarify with your doctor what was seen. In some cases it is just too early to see a clear fetal pole to be able verify a live baby or not. At 6 weeks if there were clearly able to see a fetal pole then a heart beat can usually be seen. When I am faced with these scenarios I usually repeat the scan in 1 week.
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Yes.: Your question puzzles me somewhat. The lack of a heartbeat on a 6 week U/S is an ominous sign of a failed pregnancy. If that's the case, you're likely to miscarry & have bleeding and cramping. If the pain and/or bleeding is severe, you need immediate medical care. Regardless, keep that follow up appointment so your doctor can reassess your situation. Best wishes!