gi problem. i am 68, male and had my retum removed due to colon cancer. after the removal i had loose stools and went on immodium for 8 years. i recently heard hat this medication may cause dementia. i looked for an alternative, but could not find one. i

2 doctor answers
Dr. Nisheeth Gupta
Specializes in Hematology and Oncology
Diarrhea: you can try lomotil (diphenoxylat and atropine)
Answered on Jul 1, 2015
1
43 years experience Pathology
Listen, Ron: In a way, I'm sorry that after a cancer cure, you would still be so distrustful of scientific medicine. I found the "pop" claim about imodium, (loperamide) which we've used for decades, causing dementia on a doctor-bashing site and it looks to me that it's made up out of whole cloth. Any physician who could show there's a risk would have his science career made; nobody has. Don't let crooks trouble you.
Answered on Jul 27, 2018