McKees Rocks, PA

my son is 7 mnths old. at his pediatric appt. last week his dr.heard a "flow murmur"said its common in young babies. is this true? i'm very concerned!

Dr. Chad Rudnick
Flow murmur: Flow murmurs are very common and do not represent a health concern. In a large percentage of kids, we can hear the sound of blood being pumped through the heart, which creates the flow murmur. Your pediatrician will listen at each visit and in most kids, it goes away as they get older.
Murmur good/bad: If I listen often enough I expect to hear a flow murmur on any kid.Murmur just means an extra sound beyond the lub dup of the heart beating or the valves closing.It is often exagerated by fever and will change in intensity with position.It has little significance beyond needing to be included in the record.Worrisome murmurs are specific in location,intensity and other features.