Franklin, NJ

Is my dentist pushing me to get a bone graft/implant after my tooth extraction for the money? or is it absolutely necessary?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
If: If the area where the tooth was removed is compromised, bone graft/implant/crown may be the best "fix." Yes, it's expensive, but it''s worth the time, effort, and money. Generally missing teeth should be replaced. To not do so results in additional tooth loss over time. Not being able to examine you I would recommend that you get a second opinion if you don't have a trusting relationship.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
2nd opinion: If you are uncertain, get a second opinion -- see a specialist - the Prosthodontist. In most cases, an implant is the optimum treatment for a lost/missing tooth - especially in someone your age with their whole life ahead and the need for function, esthetics, and bone preservation. Good Luck.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
28 Teeth: Forgetting your wisdom teeth, you should have 28 other healthy, functioning teeth (or replacements). If teeth are not replaced, the other teeth will shift resulting in an uneven bite, periodontal problems, and esthetic issues. It will cost more to correct later than now. The advice your dentist gave you is sound and correct, and follows the standard of care. The choice is yours.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
I don't think so: because if needed as part of a dental implant, the cost of a bone graft is generally included in the quoted price for the implants. It is absolutely necessary.

Last updated Jan 5, 2019