My therapist has me visualizing anxiety, sadness, anger and giving them hugs, embrassing them comforting them, what therapy is this? It's different

Dr. Donald Gieck
13 years experience in Clinical Psychology
Acceptance therapy: From your description it sounds like acceptance-based therapy, which emphasizes accepting negative thoughts and emotions instead of fighting them - this can help mitigate the impact of negative emotions and thoughts. In trials it has been shown to be effective for anxiety and depression. If you have concerns or additional questions recommend talking to your therapist for further clarification.
Answered on Jun 11, 2015
1
Dr. Donald Gieck
Provided original answer
For more information: http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=366
Jun 11, 2015