Harlingen, TX

i sprained my ankle pretty bad 11 days ago my foot's swollen n i've just now been putting ice on it. how long should my foot/toes be swollen for??

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Highly variable time: Foot and toe swelling after a significant ankle sprain lingers until the ankle swelling diminishes, since it is in part due simply to the limited outflow capabilities of normal capacity. This is from the "blockage" of outflow and compression of the exiting pathways by the swollen and pressurized tissues around the ankle. Early icing, elevation, and compression will help the ankle swelling.