what do doctors do to check you for colon cancer?

Dr. Mark Hoepfner
General Surgery 39 years experience
Exam: Physical exam, rectal exam, check for blood in the stool, colonoscopy if indicated.
Dr. Vance Harris
Colonoscopy: We can check for blood in the stool and that will catch about 50% of the colon cancers. Current recommendations also include colonoscopy starting at age 50 which will catch most of the cancers and is our most powerful tool in preventing colon cancer. Polyps that will go on to form cancer are found during the colonoscopy. This should be done every 10 years. People at high risk would have more frequ.
Dr. Olaf Johansen
Colon and Rectal Surgery 36 years experience
Follow the guidelines described by Dr Harris, if you have specific symptoms that are concerning eg bleeding,change in bowel habits, abdominal pain see a colon and rectal surgeon or a gastroenterologist to see what work up is warranted.
Dec 25, 2012