PA

I've had so many varying responses on this, and as a person with anxiety, it makes me nervous. i'm prescribed klonipin 1 mg as needed. i take it maybe every other day. if i drink alcohol, will i be ok?

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Klonopin/ alcohol: It would make me nervous as well. Klonopin (clonazepam) and alcohol don't mix as simple as that. Wether you feel you can take it around your consumption off alcohol is for you to determine. I maintain the alcohol probably contributes to your anxiety.
Dr. Maria Guerra
Pharmacology 8 years experience
Not at same time: Do not take Klonopin (clonazepam) and alcohol at the same time. Both Klonopin (clonazepam) and alcohol are CNS (central nervous system) depressants, so when you take them both together it will have an additive effect. CNS depression can lead to decreased heart rate, decreased breathing, loss of consciousness and possibly death. Even if you take it every other day it can stay in your system for 2-4 days so be careful.
Dr. Marcie Berman
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Not recommended but: Probably not dangerous. Klonopin (clonazepam), (clonazepam) a benzo , Is potentially dangerous mixed with alcohol. The higher the doses of each, the more dangerous . But Klonopin (clonazepam) leaves your system relatively quickly so on the days that you dont take it having a drink is likely fine. The unknown here is the quantity of alcohol that you consume at any given time which is important. Speak to your doc who knows you perso
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I have to respectfully disagree with Dr. Berman. Clonazepam is actually a VERY long half-life drug which sticks around as long as (and sometimes longer) than does valium (diazepam). I am also always worried about people who ask about drinking alcohol on anti-anxiety drugs, since alcohol abuse is both a frequent cause and a frequent result of anxiety.
Aug 14, 2015
Dr. David Lipkin
Agree with Dr Wartenberg. Clonazepam's half life in adults can range from 20-60 hours. In children the half life is 22-33 hours.
Aug 26, 2015
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine 50 years experience
NO: if you read what it says on the bottle of clonazepam (or in the prescribing information), it will very specifically say to avoid alcohol while taking clonazepam. There are at least additive and sometimes synergistic effects of drinking while on tranquillizers that can be VERY dangerous and result in oversedation and even death. Anxiety can be treated with psychotherapy and other medications.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017