Germany

Can an insect fly into the eye and move to the nose duct? an insect flew into my eye, and now ive been sneezing and my nose feels irritated.

Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
No but: No, the nasolacrimal duct (connects eye with nose) too small for insect. The irritation of an insect in the eye can set up a reflex response involving your nose and sinuses. Depend on how long it's been. You might try a commercial eye wash to flush out the eye to remove the irritant.
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Unlikely: Although the eye and nose are connected via the nasolacrimal duct, it would be very unlikely that an insect would be able to travel through the duct to your nose. More than likely your symptoms are the result of allergy. You should try an over the counter allergy medication but if the symptoms persist, you should see your physician.

Last updated Apr 12, 2015